John H Guidry

Heart Transplant

June 2000


n the fall of 1997, I began to experience dizziness. After being evaluated by my primary care physician, I was diagnosed with motion sickness and given medication. A few weeks later, I began to have shortness of breath in addition to the dizziness. It became a struggle each day to walk up the stairs each morning to my office at work.

One night as I slept, I was awaken with extreme shortness of breath. My wife who is a registered nurse made an appointment for me to see my doctor the next day. I was referred to a cardiologist and diagnosed with dilated cardiomyopathy. On October 13, 1998 while hospitalized I coded with flash pulmonary edema and was on life support for several days.

During this hospital stay, I was evaluated for a heart transplant and placed on the transplant list.

In August of 1999, my heart condition worsen. An LVAD was implanted on August 3, 1999. On June 12, 2000, I received a heart transplant. Six months later, I was able to return to work. On July 31, 2011, I retired after 35 years as an educator 26 of those years with the Houston Independent School District.

Living on a Spare:

How Two Hearts Gave John Guidry His Life Back



Baylor St. Luke's Performs Multiple Successful Transplants in the Same Patient

In the fall of 1997, John Guidry knew that his dizziness and shortness of breath were due to more than the everyday stress of being principal in a busy Houston high school. At Baylor St. Luke’s John was told he was in heart failure due to dilated cardiomyopathy, a condition which was causing his heart to pump at only 20 percent. Over the next few years, John received an LVAD and was placed on the heart transplant waiting list.
On the evening of June 12, 2000, John received word that he had a donor heart. “The nurse ran into my room and said, ‘Mr. Guidry, it’s a go, it’s a go!’” John remembers from that night inside Baylor St. Luke’s. “Everyone on the hospital floor came into the room and made a circle around me. They all joined hands and prayed. That meant a lot to me.”
Six months after his successful heart transplant at Baylor St. Luke’s, John was able to return to his job with Houston Independent School District.
In 2009 John began to experience symptoms of heart transplant rejection, a common reaction from the body’s immune system after organ transplantation. His team at Baylor St. Luke’s told him that he needed to be placed on the transplant waiting list again–this time for a heart and a kidney.
John received his second heart transplant on August 26, 2014, and a kidney transplant the following day. After two months, John was discharged from the hospital.
Now retired, John is living a full life. He serves as president of the Heart Exchange, a support group for transplant patients at Baylor St. Luke’s. In the years since his second heart transplant John and his wife joined a bowling league, something he never could have dreamed of doing before his surgery. Though he admits his wife is a better bowler, John is thankful to have a new spin on life.



...I am extremely grateful to have received a heart transplant. It has allowed me to see my two daughters finish high school. My oldest daughter has finished college and is now a sixth grade English teacher. My youngest daughter will graduated from college in December of 2012. Each day for me now is so precious and a blessing from God.

Heart Golf Classic

  • Join us Nov 6, 2017 for a great day of golf to benefit the Heart Exchange Support Group and its efforts to provide significant emotional support for patients awaiting a heart transplant!


    For additional information please e-mail us at or click here

Monthly Social

  • 2nd Saturday of the month at CHI St. Luke's Health–Baylor St. Luke’s Medical Center in Houston, Texas - Cooley Auditorium 6:00 pm

  • Transplant Support Group Meeting

    This meeting takes place every Wednesday at 10:00 am at CHI St. Luke's Health–Baylor St. Luke’s Medical Center in Houston, Texas


Contact Information